Puff puff or Bofrot as called by Ghanians (Please tell us what it is called in your language and we would update this post) is lovely snack that is known around west africa and is a lovely snack that can help to hold hunger. It is served in parties or events and now it has been tushed with other delicacies.
Puff puff is made from flour, sugar and yeast as the major ingredients. It is a dough that is fried to get puff puff (befrot)as the end result. Other spices you may add depend on you.
Ingredients for making puff puff balls
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar/Granulated Sugar (Or according to your taste)
- 4 teaspoons Instant Yeast
- Sprinkle of Nutmeg
- Vegetable Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Cups Warm Water
Method of preparation:
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients with a spatula.
- Slowly add in water while mixing. Stop when it is thick and smooth with a couple of bubbles. (see image below)
- Cover the mixture with a table cloth. Place the mixture in a warm place i.e. your oven or microwave. Leave it to rise for about 45-60 minutes. (Note: If the mixture doesn’t rise, it means something is wrong with your yeast.) It is recommended to use instant yeast.Pour vegetable oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- Next scoop the mixture with your measuring spoon (1 teaspoon scoop) into the pan of hot oil (Kindly refer to video).
How to scoop batter with your hand: Dip your hand in water to wet it. Dip your hand in batter, draw the batter towards the bowl. Keep the batter in between your fingers and palm. Now squeeze batter in-between your palm and allow it to drop freely into the oil. Don’t overcrowd the oil.
- Fry in small batches or molds. With your frying spoon, turn it once it starts to brown, until it is uniformly brown.
- When done, transfer from the pan to another bowl to drain the oil!
- If the hand method is not for you, simply use a scoop to put the batter in oil.
Important things to note when making puff puff (bofrot)
Puff puff Preparation time: 50 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Make sure you get quick rise yeast. Regular yeast works also but it takes about 2-3 hours to properly activate.
What can go wrong when making puff puff
It has been discovered that leaving the yeast for too long before frying can make it not to rise. Puff puff should never rest for more than 60 minutes when you use quick rise yeast. If you set the batter in a warm place, it should only take about 45 minutes to rise.
Special credit to marsha for their video:
Can Puff Puff be made without yeast? Yes! you can make Nigerian puff puff without yeast. Simply use self-raising flour, sugar and milk. Eggcan be added but this is optional. Please understand that Puff puff needs proofing. hence requires a shallow big bowl that will allow for proofing.
Note that If you are using a fast action yeast, there is no need to proof the yeast, simply add to the flour.