What is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is the act of sending a message, typically to a group of people, using email. Email marketing is a form of direct marketing that uses electronic mail as a means of communicating messages to an audience.
Email marketing has become an essential tool for business ever since the advent of Internet. It has been observed that some campaigns that make it through to our inboxes are absolute rubbish that we just find annoying. The aim of this post is to explain what email marketing really is, why you should use it and how to go about it.
However, email marketing could be used for the following reasons:
- When trying to enhance the relationship between a merchant and its current or previous customers
- To encourage customer loyalty and repeat business.
- It could be for the purpose of getting new customers or convincing current customers to perform a desired action.
Why Email marketing?
I have reviewed and checked the benefits of using an email marketing for the promotion of business. To answer this question, lets look at the answers together as to why you need email marketing for your business.
- Cost effective – It is CHEAP, that is the beauty about it. Whether you do it yourself, or through an email marketing agency, marketing to hundreds of consumers via email is going to cost you little compared to other channels of advertising. It does not incur advertising rates nor print or postage cost.
- It is Targeted
With email marketing, you have the ability to control exactly who sees an email by segmenting your contacts based on their lead status, demographics, location or any other data. Targeting emails ensures that your audience receives content suited specifically to their needs. It is easier to customize your message for each customer, thereby enhancing a higher conversion rate.
- Increases Brand Awareness
Every email you send exposes your business and your brand. If the right strategy like planning, smart design and targeted content are well developed and delivered, your business will consistently build value. Hence, you stay top-of-mind with your audience. When there is a need for a particular products or services, your business stands a much better chance of turning those leads into clients and clients into loyal customers.
- Measureability and Flexibility – With the analytics available today it’s easy to track responses to your emails exactly.It is easy for you to know how and what kind of campaign works for you. You can monitor what your targeted audience are responsive to.
How to get started with Email marketing
Step 1: Establish your goals. Simply sign up for an email marketing tool like Mailchimp to start your first campaign.
Step 2: Build your email list.
- Entice them into signing up by offering discount coupons and other advantages that will only be sent via email.
- All you need is their name and email address to get started. Don’t ask for too much information at this point.
Step 3: Select the type of campaigns you want to send. …
Step 4: Create your first campaign.
Step 5: Measure your results.
How to sell with Email marketing?
- Creative Design – This refers to the overall design of the email (layout/images/colour). Specifically, it is a good idea to ask each customer whether they would like the emails in text or HTML as there is often a great preference for one over the other.
- Create clear, tempting subject lines – It has been observed that prospects won’t take the first step – opening your email — unless your subject line tells them what to expect and sounds irresistible enough to check out. I am a perfect example
- Incentive – Offer an incentive for opting in, and make it easy, with a button on every web page, sign-up cards at your reception or check-out counter, etc.
- Timing – Don’t send out an email that recipients will receive overnight, let it pop up in their inbox during their working day. This also expands to selecting certain days, months and even years. Remember – You can test and measure what timing works best for you.
- Remember to Keep it short- Ensure to make your most important point first. Your audience will ask the “wh” questions– what’s in it for them if they take the next step. Be informed that most people now use a smartphone to read your email, so better to keep it short and simple. It shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds to read your message. This is according to a survey result recently released. You can provide links to longer documents, your blog or a landing page as your call-to-action.
- Copy – When considering the copywriting for your email you must consider all aspects of the language, from subject line through to your mail signature. With emails, not all links should be saved for the last sentence, pop them in early to grab that impulsive customer!
- Landing Page – As written earlier, creative design matters. This is the first thing anyone will see about your site or blog. Don’t just hyperlink your customers to your home page; show them exactly where you want them to go and make it quick and easy to complete any forms!
Please Note the following
Adhere to the rules of the CAM-SPAM Act. These rules include having a non-deceptive subject line, a method of unsubscribing, and your name and address at the end of the emails.
Don’t just send out ads to buy all the time. Ensure your emails can be used to build rapport with customers by sharing your expertise and/or that of others, giving them tips and insights they can value. Share information that lets them know more about your services.
Sending email on a regular day or days can help your subscribers know what to expect from you and when.
With the few points and ideas on this post, i trust you will have gotten the basic knowledge and insight on email marketing and how to use it for your business. Please leave a comment and share. Thanks